Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Train-Ing Day

I spent most of today on a train traveling from Rome to Terni and then to L'Aquila. Terni is north of Rome and L'Aquila is to the east in the Abruzzo region of Italy where it is the capital.


I enjoyed train journey, which is good because it took most of the day. L'Aquila was hit by an earthquake in April of 2009 and is in the midst of rebuilding, so there wasn't much to see except scaffolding and walls that were braced. Though the day was overcast, blustery, and rainy the view was spectacular with the colors becoming more vibrant as the trained climbed into the moutain region. I had an hour layover in Terni during the morning so I found a local bar and had a breakfast of cappuccino and danish as seems to be the custom here.


While I was in L'Aquila I found a restaurant and had my first sit down, 90 minute lunch. The restaurant was new and decorated in grey, black, and white. It was quite stunning and a comforting respite from the cold and windy rain. I've included a picture of a church that I walked past which gives you an idea of how the town looks right now. They have a lot of rebuilding to do. One account I read pointed out that L'Aquila translates in english to "the eagle" and they are determined that the eagle will fly once again. I am sure they're right.


1 comment:

  1. I love trains and would not have a problem riding them all day. The colors are spectacular on the countryside.

    ReplyDelete