Monday, November 1, 2010

Rainy day 1 Rome 2010

I arrived safely in Rome on a rainy day. It is about 7:30pm and it has been raining since I arrived 12 hours ago. I was able to find the right bus from the airport to Trastevere and then very easily found Federica and Franco's apartment. They are the owners of the apartment that I have rented. I dropped my luggage with them and explored the rainy streets of Trastevere for a couple of hours until my apartment was ready.

The apartment is lovely. It is quite clean and has everything I will need for my stay. I posted a couple of pictures to give you just an idea of what it's like. The bed is unmade, but you get the idea. I took a 30 minute nap before venturing out.

I walked to Santa Maria di Trastevere where there was a church service going on. Today is All Saints Day. I am only guessing that that's why there was service on Monday. There were also many beggers, umbrella salesmen, and tourists. As is true of most churches I've visited in Rome, it was ornate from floor to ceiling. Between services (which is when I took some inside photos) there was a children's choir singing. Their voices were very beautiful.
It began getting dark today at about 4:30 and was completely dark before 6pm. Their time changed just a couple of days ago, but it feels strange to be dark so early. It will be fine with me, though, because it has been a long 2 days of travel and orientation, so I'm happy for an excuse to turn in early.
Tomorrow I plan to go to Campo di Fiori where there is an outdoor market each weekday to stock up on some fresh fruits and vegetables. Because today is a holiday, the markets were closed so I've had one day of only airplane food and one day of italian "fast food" which mainly consists of pizza and panini. I'm looking forward to fruit for breakfast and salad for lunch.
In case you didn't know, the characters on an italian keyboard are organized differently than ours, so you would be amazed at how much I've had to backspace to fix my many mistakes.
I feel like I'm just learning to type.
I'll fill you in on what I find tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some sun - things look so much prettier in the sun, don't they?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, Rosann. Remember, you are living a joy that some of us will never experience. Enjoy every single minute. I pray for you each day to feel every sensation of this journey. God's blessings on you, my friend! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. Your apartment is cute and quaint. Looks like you'll be very comfortable during your stay. I am so glad that you have decided to blog. I'm looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rosann for sharing day 1 of your trip to Rome. I commend you for taking the time to post, given the difficulty with key orientation. lol...You ARE just learning to type! Is the apartment as warm and cozy as it appears, or damp and cold? LY, Jeri

    ReplyDelete