Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Exploring Rome

The morning began warm, sunny, and clear. It was a nice change. I actually had to go back into my apartment and get my sunglasses because I hadn't expected the sun to pop his head out today. I have gotten into the habit of checking the weather forecast each day, so I was prepared when the thunderstorm began late morning. I walked along on my way to St. Peter's once again because I wanted to take the "tour" I have on podcast with Rick Steves. As I walked along, I


took a couple of photos. The first one is castle S. Angelo, which I plan to learn more about and see inside one of these days. When Julie was here she joked that, because it was round, if she didn't get a chance to see the colosseum, she would just tell everyone that was it. Thankfully, she was able to get photos of the real thing.


I took a picture of St. Peter's from quite a ways down the street and, across from where I was standing, I saw a church, S. Maria Del Carmelo. I ventured inside and was, as always, amazed by the beautiful artwork inside. I enjoy just sitting in these churches and taking it all in. It quiets my soul. Just sitting there amidst all the beauty and, though my personal beliefs are somewhat different from those that are presented here, it is still the same Lord and I am always curious about different ways people approach Him. I have been told that only a small percentage of Roman's attend church regularly. I don't know if that is accurate. Unfortunately, I think like all things in life, when we are surrounded by something we tend to overlook it day to day.

Here are guards standing in front of the entrance to the pope's residence. I didn't think they would let me in - besides the pope isn't home right now. They are quite solemn and seem to stand without moving for long periods of time. Not even a nose scratch. Hmmm, with my allergies, it certainly wouldn't be the job for me.


The last photo is of a rainy street. I actually took this specific picture so I could find a shoe store again because I found a pair of boots I wanted to buy and had to go home for money, but wasn't sure I could find the place again. You will be happy to know that I was successful and can now cross one thing off of my "to-do" list. I bought a pair of italian boots. Very difficult because most stores carry sizes that begin with 36 and, just like in the states, I wear a smaller size than they carry. I did find a discount store that had the boots I like in 35. Yea! The good thing about my small feet is that I cannot find too may pairs that I could buy even if I had unlimited resources to do so.
Tomorrow is back on the train headed to Spoleto, which is about one and a half hours by train. Friday I am planning to finally go to Naples. All of this is pending on checking the weather each day. Check back later to see if I actually make it.



No comments:

Post a Comment