Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Campo De Fiori by day, Lost by night

This first picture is of my street. Trastevere is a bit like a maze because it consists of narrow streets with tall buildings on either side. It can be difficult to get your bearings.

I headed out this morning to shop for produce. Here are a couple of pictures of the stands at Campo de Fiori. It was very nice and not too busy. After getting some yummy, colorful produce, I found a supermarket and got milk, eggs, jam, and bread. Of course, I could have gotten the produce at the supermarket, but it's too fun to find outdoor markets.


I headed home to put away my purchases and picked up my mp3 player and a map of trastevere and took a guided tour (via podcast I downloaded at home) through the streets of Trastevere. It worked very well and was easy to follow. I learned lots of information about the history of many things I would normally just walk past. I stopped off to pick up a Donar Kabob to go for lunch at home. I discovered Donar Kabobs on my last visit and they are beyond good. Hard to describe, though, because I don't know what type of meat it is. It's roasted on a big spinning skewer (like our Gyro meat, but not the same type meat) and served with lettuce, cucumbers, cabbage, tomato, onion, some white sauce and a little hot sauce. You can get it on foccacia bread, on a plate, or wrap. I saved half the meat (they are huge) and am eating it now at 10pm while I post this.
So... that brings us to tonight. I was planning on heading across the river to central Rome and grab a few night pictures of popular sites -- maybe Trevi Fountain, Coloseum, etc. Well, I decided to walk in the opposite direction for awhile (this began about 5:30) because it was just about fully dark and I wanted very dark. As I walked, things became unfamiliar and sparse. I kept thinking there would be crowded streets and shops just around the corner. I ended up totally lost for 2 hours. Like really lost. Not one shop or restaurant in sight. There was lots of traffic, but nothing to tell me where I was. I ended up on some highway with exit ramps and everything. Not on my map at all. I was beyond relieved when I saw a bus that said "Termini" (the main terminal in central Rome). I hopped on and, even though termini is the opposite direction from home, I knew I could find my way from there. I got on the bus about 7:45. It took until 9:30 to get home. Needless to say, no pictures for you tonight. We'll try it again another night.
Tomorrow I meet at Campo de Fiori with Franco for my italian lesson and his english lesson. I want him to explain what some of the produce I was unfamiliar with. According to the weather forecast, the next 4 or 5 days are to be sunny and warm. Should get some nice pictures with clear weather. I will head off to Orvieto by train probably Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. What an exciting and adventurous time! Lost, alone in Italy!!! lol I am glad you found your way back. <3

    ReplyDelete