Monday, December 7, 2009

Italy Day 14 - Final Day

My final day here in Italy. I didn't stay at the apartment and chill because I realized that I "needed" to buy more gifts........... after all I had money left! So, I drove towards Rome and found this place with lots of shops. Of course, I got there around noonish and they soon closed for siesta, so I drove back to my old favorite parking spot near the Piazza Mancini, hopped a bus and rode into Rome once again.
Via Nazionale became my favorite place to shop for two reasons -- 1) it has lots of neat shops and 2) I know my way there and back with no problem. Both of those are important, don't you think? I hadn't planned on going into Rome so I didn't have my map with me and it's quite easy to get turned around there, so staying on known turf was important.
I'm back at the apartment and have almost finished packing.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Italy. It's not possible to choose a favorite part of the trip. Our dinner "crashing" in Cortona has to be right up there. Or the first time I stood in Rome where you can see both the Colesium and the Roman Forum at the same time. Or my first glimpse of Civita di Bagnoregio perched upon that cliff. Experiencing the ballet with a live orchestra in that beautiful hall was another great adventure. I also enjoyed sitting at the apartment each night and going through the pictures to update the blog. It's given me a fresh perspective each day.
I'm glad I decided to rent a car because it gave me the opportunithy to go places I would not have felt free to go otherwise. I'm thrilled that I "conquered" Rome and am comfortable driving there and walking through the city. Perhaps during my next trip I'll conquer the train system and head off to Florence or Venice or..........who knows.
There is much of Italy that I've not explored --- another time, another trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment