Sunday, December 6, 2009

Italy Day 13 - the Sea

This is my first picture of the Mediterranean Sea. (When Mike and I went to Porto S. Staffano last week, we were at the Ligurian Sea.) The day was not too cold and, in spite of the clouds, didn't feel gloomy. I just asked Jack (my GPS guy -- short for Jack-in-the-Box, because he's in a box, get it?) to take me to the beach and he did. That Jack....... he's so accommodating. Their beach is nothing like ours -- there are boulders, stone piers, and litter everywhere. In fact, litter and graffiti seem to abound here. After I walked along the beach for awhile, I drove south for about ten minutes and found a nice little coastal village. I walked along their pier, shopped in their shops and ate lunch.
This picture is of the street right across from the beach. I sat outside and had lunch at a seafood restaurant. I couldn't choose between ravioli or seafood and the waiter recommended a fried seafood platter. Now, just to be clear, if ever I order fried seafood again (or any seafood for that matter) I prefer the fish to not have heads, or tails, or bones. This taking a whole little fishy, dipping him in batter, and frying him up doesn't sit too well with me. Also, before one fries shrimp, I think they ought to pop off the head, peel him, and remove his little legs. I'm just sayin'. I am gateful that the calamari wasn't an entire fried squid.

There were a fair amount of people fishing from various piers at the beach. I am constantly pleased to find that no matter where I've gone, no matter what time of day, no matter what the temperature or climate, people are walking. Old, young, and in between -- they walk. Strolling along with coats, umbrellas, boots or whatever attire is necessary.... they walk.
Nicer restaurants here begin serving at 8pm. They're closed until then. Isn't that odd? But people go. The caffe's are open earlier. Most everything closes from 1 until 4 or 5. Siesta! I love that part of Italy. In Rome, you can find little eateries open, but most of the shops are closed for siesta.
Jack is having issues lately. His volume isn't working. He's stuck on 30% volume, which is extremely quiet. When Mike was still here, we would constantly make fun of Jack because he doesn't have an italian accent, yet he pronounces the letters like the italians do. That makes him sound a little bit like John Wayne speaking italian. Perhaps his feelings are hurt or he's angry at me because now he'll barely speak to me. I think I'll have to send him back for a replacement when I get home. That'll show him, won't it?
Well, everyone. Today was my last day of exploring Italy. I leave Tuesday morning and have plans to read, crochet, clean, and pack tomorrow. I'll do a bit of walking around Capena to be sure I've taken it all in, but probably won't drive anywhere. I so appreciate your taking this trip with me..... I feel like I'm sharing with friends each night. I mostly don't mind traveling alone, but it's great to have someone to share things with. The comments you've left have been enjoyable and have kept me company, as well.
My trip may be almost over, but my journey through life is still going strong. I determined when I began this blog to live life bodly and with purpose. I will continue to venture along that road, so check back with me as I will still post occasionally and let you know how it's going. I'll probably drop a little post tomorrow and another when I return safely home. I miss my family and will be glad for skin-to-skin hugs instead of just cyber ones. See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment