Thursday, December 3, 2009

Italy Day 10 - Viterbo

Today was clear and cold. It's about 48 degrees at 6pm in Capena right now. I drove aboout 1 hour today to Viterbo, the capital city of the Lazio region. This first picture is of the cathedral of Saint Lorenzo. I am constantly in awe of the churches here in Italy because, not only are they beautifully designed, they are majestic in a way that a newer church simply cannot be. To think of the years and years of worshippers gathering inside is inspiring. It is difficult to capture the feeling one experiences entering these buildings. It causes me to quiet my soul and be respectful in a deep way. The longer I'm here, the more I wish I was a better photographer and the more I realize I need to learn more adjectives! lol
In each city I've visited, looking down the side streets is one of my favorite past times. The archways, the metal work over doors and windows, the laundry hanging seemingly haphazardly from windows and balconies, the stone streets.... all of these things tells a story of the inhabitants behind the walls of each place I encounter.

I found a map of Viterbo and followed it to the various parts of the city. I also met a couple of American girls who are exchange students here in Italy. Their italian was excellent and they were sweet and willing to share their experiences here. I met them in a little place I stopped for lunch. It was a Turkish place that sold something called a Donar Kabob. Yum! They said they have a "bob" about once a week to break the tradition of having pasta as the first course of every meal. It was good stuff. The gentleman who ran it was very patient and kind. It amazes me that here in Italy, when you order food at a little place like this one, they never want you to pay at first. Just relax and enjoy your food, then take care of the money. He told me to sit, sit, enjoy and eat. When I was finished, he was more than willing to wrap the rest of my sandwich (it was huge) and then asked me to remind him what I ate. It was relaxing as well and pleasing for my stomach.

The weather forecast for tomorrow calls for 90% rain so I plan to stay put and just be. Take a vacation from exploring. I will read and try to learn to crochet. I actually brought yarn and a crochet hook in hopes to figure it out via youtube instructions. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment