Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Italy - Day 1

I've made it to Capena, Italy. I'm having a little trouble getting these pictures to be in the order and position that I want them, but I'll work it out. This first picture is the street on which I'm staying. It's a two way road! If an oncoming car comes, one simply stops and backs up until there's a "wide" spot in the road. I always pray that no one comes towards me.
This is the home right across the street from where I'm staying. I think it's most lovely and I love the flowers walking up the stairs.


This picture is of the front of the flat where I'm staying. The door on the lower left corner is my front door. The tiny "balcony" just above is also mine. I am sitting upstairs in my bedroom right now with the balcony door open and listening to the people walking down the street. Of course, they're speaking Italian - which is way cool.
I got in Rome about 8:45 this morning and, after wandering about the airport for awhile, I found my rental company, got my car, hooked up my patient GPS guide, Jack, and headed for Capena. Jack was very patient even though he kept having to recalculate after I missed an exit or turned the wrong way. The 45 minute drive only took me a little over a hour, which isn't too bad considering it's my first time driving here and all the signs are in Italian. heehee
I had no problem finding my flat, but couldn't find Pucci (the caretaker of the flat). A kind 20-something boy walked around with me for about 30 minutes trying to help me find an internet hub I could use to check my old emails for the name of the bar (cafe') that had an extra key. I, of course, couldn't remember the name of the bar I was supposed to go to. We never found one but, as he was leaving me he gave me my first Italian farewell - two gentle, almost-air kisses; one on each cheek. He left me with a "Caio! I hope you enjoy your stay here." I was touched by his willingness to help.
I finally met up with Pucci and she was very helpful getting me settled in. I have a need to "nest" when I travel, so I set up my computer in my upstairs room near the balcony window, opened the house up, put Josh Groban on the Ipod (he's about as European as I have), and unpacked. I walked around town most of the day getting my bearings (sort of).

After a trip to a local produce stand and a stop by a florist, 2 trips to the grocery store, and a second visit from Pucci so she could teach me how to turn on the stovetop............ this is what you get - dinner in Italy. Notice there's only half a slice of bread. I sliced the bread too early, I think, because I kept picking at it while I cooked dinner.
My brother Mike has been in Rome since Sunday. I'll drive to Rome in the morning and the plan so far is that we'll explore Rome tomorrow, then drive to my place and we'll stay here tomorrow night and head off north Thursday to explore some cities we've been reading up on.

It's only 7:30pm here, but I haven't slept since Sunday night -- well, unless you count that head jerking sleeping one does on a plane --and the jet lag is beginning to catch up with me, so I'm going to try and figure out how to work the shower and head off to bed. Until tomorrow..........


No comments:

Post a Comment