Thursday, November 26, 2009

Cortona - Italy Day 3




What an amazing day we had in Cortona! I had such difficulty choosing which of the many pictures and memories to share with you today. It was the happiest of Thanksgivings even though we were in a country that doesn't celebrate it. This first pictures are general shots of the city of Cortona. The photo above is to show you that everywhere (absolutely everywhere) we went today was uphill. I never walked leaning frontwards for so long before --- then of course, leaning to the back going down. It was worth the climbs to see what we saw, though, I must say.

This is a small idea of the town through which we made our way all day. Simply turn after turn of more beautiful buildings, churches, architecture. My brain truly can't take it all in. Even though it was a bit hazy, the views were picturesque. By the way, the weather has been unbeatable since I've been here. Cool enough to be comfortable walking for hours, but not enough to wear a heavy coat. The evenings cool down quite a bit, but still enjoyable being outdoors.

This is the best story............ in Cortona, while looking for a place to eat dinner, Mike mentioned that he saw a group of people congregating in front of this cafe' eating and drinking wine. He said the pork smelled so good that he wanted to see about ordering some, but it seemed like a private gathering because the food was laid outside on open tables. We went over and I asked if we could join them ("Posso?" - which simply means, "May I?") This sweet, pleasant man motioned sure, sure and started serving us pork sandwiches. The most tender, flavorful pork I've ever tasted! Truly! Mike went in and got some wine, we had bruschetta, liver pate', proscuitto, pork, etc., etc. The man kept offering us more and asking if it was good. Everyone was talking and being friendly. When we had had our fill (and I do mean our fill!), Mike practiced his sentences, approached this gentleman and told him it was very good and asked where we should pay. He laughed and said, "No. No." and waved us off saying something about Italian hospitality (I think). I don't know what type event we crashed, but they were more than gracious and we had an absolute blast with them. How's that for Thanksgiving????

A picture of Mike helping himself to some of the wonderful food at the Caffe Il Posto where we crashed whatever event they were having.

Are you tired of my rattling on each night? I do hope you're getting a small feel of the beauty of Italy -- both its scenery and its people. Mike and I were talking tonight ---- dinner in Rome last night, our special evening in Cortona tonight......... I don't know how to top it tomorrow night! We'll keep trying and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for visiting with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment